With Love, From The Warfront

 

Dear Titilope,

I live through every day with a picture of you tucked into my breast pocket. At the oddest times, I tap it to make sure its still there. The boys here call me lover boy because I won't stop talking about you. That's all I have every day really. Just you. If I dont talk about you, wed have to talk about our friends that are dropping like flies.


There was this one guy who I thought was a lot like me. He just wanted to get home to his girl. Shes from Abakaliki too so I called him my in-law. Like me, he didn't want to be here. We showed each other pictures of our women. His was a lot like you. Big smile, bright eyes. You'd have liked her. We bonded over fermented palmwine and even said wed visit each other after the war. His babe's name is Onyinye. 

But I dont think Onyinye will see him again because yesterday our base was attacked and his head got blown off right in front of me. Not by a bomb. A gun, Titi. A fucking gun. One bullet and his head just went splat. I canget the sight out of my head. Our hysterical captain cursed the government as we tried to defend ourselves. He said we should have guns like that too but the government doesnt care about us and our lives. I felt his rant was a little ill-timed. The terrorists were raining bullets on us. Babe, it was like actual rain. We didnt even know where they were shooting from.


One guy they called Bobo also got really hysterical and stood up, out of our hiding place and started to shout at the rebels, asking if they wanted a piece of him. Before I could ask him if he thought this was a movie, they had sprayed him with bullets and he landed in a heap right beside me.

I looked at him in panic but he was smiling. Titi, he was about to die and he was smiling. Then he said "E go be" and passed out. Sorry, passed away. Bloody hell. I think he committed his own version of suicide.

Im a little shaken because theres no water anymore. I dont even want water honestly. I just want to be in our room in Ibadan one last time. See you one last time. Maybe then Id be able to smile like Bobo did when he died.

Ive been trying to fall asleep so I can at least see you in my dreams. But I havent slept in three days. Weve been on the run for a bit and the rebels are after us. Theyre like those things in those awful movies you like to watch. Zombies? Vampires? Undead? Mindless fucking killers.

Sorry Im cursing so much. I know you dont like it. Ive been meaning to tell you. Its weird that you dont like it when I say the F-word when you curse like a sailor. The only difference between me and you is you dont say "Fuck", but you know its all the same, yes?

 

You know that hysterical captain? He died last night. His head exploded like Onyinye's boyfriend. In front of me too. I honestly wish theyd stop blowing peoples heads off in front of me. Its rude. I hope youre laughing now. I am. Youre probably going to be a little mad at me because you always complain that I make jokes out of everything. Im really sorry if youre pissed

 

If I make it out of this alive, will you marry me? Ive been telling the guys here that youre my fiancé so we might as well. I know it might not happen because were losing. Theyll send in a new squad after we all perish and those ones will perish too. Were out-gunned. We barely even get anyone of them. We caught one a few weeks ago and they were trying to interrogate him, I guess. I didnt hear anything because my Igbo ass doesnt speak any Hausa. But he screamed some northern nonsense and something exploded. He died, taking the two interrogators with him. 

 

Titi, their weapons are so sophisticated, things we dont have. Our guns dont even work all the time. It annoys me. Theres this joke they keep telling about some guy who was face-to-face with one of the rebels and his gun stopped working. The name of the guy changes each time they tell the story. Sometimes its Olumide, sometimes its Olujimi or Aramide or something, but I can almost swear it actually happened.

If Im being realistic, there is no way in hell I'm coming out of this alive. Were only six left and these people are still hunting us. So I guess this is actually goodbye. I dont have any profound last words. You know Im not good with these things. But you know that Ive loved you since that day you walked up to me at the secretariat in your NYSC uniform. I was a little taken aback by your boldness, but I think I fell for you instantly. And Ive been falling every day since then. I just want you to know now because I never said any of these things to your face. 

Please live your life. Dont cry or anything. Wait, please cry. It would be weird if you didnt.  Tell Yetunde I said hi and to take care of you and make sure you live. God knows I wont. So live. For both of us. Have fun, Omalicha. Ill be looking down at you all the time. Or up at you. Heh. Whichever one applies. But if youre okay, Ill be okay. 

 

Love always

Kenechukwu 

Comments

  1. 😭😭😭, this letter made me csad, smile, laugh and cry. It's so sad that this is actually someone's reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it’s really sad. My heart goes out to everyone fighting on the frontlines.

      Delete
  2. this is the saddest of all romantic story I have read ,my eyes is acutely bringing out water 😫😭.....

    Why writing to her when he known he won't come back home 😫😫😫....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mans gotta say goodbye to the love of his life

      Delete
  3. 🥺I'm not even crying, someone is chopping onions here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This broke my heart seriously

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt some type of way while writing it honestly

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts