The Young Adult Guide to Rebellion

As much as I'd like to get into the head of a parent, I can't. I've never had children so I really can't speak to that area. What I can relate to however, is being a young adult.
As a person with parents who always want to be involved, it is pretty difficult to draw lines and establish boundaries. I reckon it's more or less the same for everyone with Nigerian parents. You can never ask for privacy. Which privacy? After they have carried you in their womb for nine months?
Seeing as we all have the same problem, I'd like to walk you through the process of emancipation from your parents as a young adult. 
Disclaimer: If this backfires and they sand your ear, don't say it's me that sent you. I don't know you, you don't know me. Answer your papa name.
1) Have your own money
I cannot stress how important this is to your emancipation process, because freedom would be meaningless when you're starving to death, or using bread to drink garri in the hostel.
So this is one of the most important things to consider when you want to "cut chain".
However, if you do not have money, if you have no source of income, if your boyfriend is not an Azaman, I'm pleased to inform you that getting your independence will be so much harder. But it's still not impossible. You just need the kind of stubbornness that would make them want to drag you to a prophet to cast the evil spirit out of you.

2) You need guts (especially if you're a goody-two-shoes)
Speaking from personal experience,being a goody-two-shoes is almost always a bad idea, because trust me, you cannot keep it up forever. If you do it too long, being your own person away from your parents will be that much more difficult. Again, from personal experience, I think we do it to avoid trouble mostly. I find it hard to believe that anyone would willingly want to be constantly subjected to the will of another person, it just feels like it's against fundamental human nature. 
So, to get your independence, you have to walk through the valley of the shadow of death and fear no evil. Guts might be even more important than money. If you have it, you're halfway there.
No guts, no glory!

3)You need to really want it
I know this seems like a given, but the desire to earn your independence has to be like a fire burning in your belly, your throat or wherever. You have to actually be sick of being talked over and told what to do. This is what will fuel your rebellion, fuel your stubbornness.

4) Go to any length
It will most likely come to this. You'll almost always have to do something extreme that either shocks the living daylight out of everyone or earns their respect. It might be disappearing for a while (I would advise against this if your parents have the Nigerian Police on speed dial), doing something you normally wouldn't. Go nuts. Just remember. The point is shock value.
Extra tip: (i)Don't commit any crimes or do anything illegal.
                (ii)Don't cut your parents off completely
                (iii)Always let them know what you're doing and make it clear that it's your decision

Extra extra tip: If you are under the age of eighteen,please just read for entertainment. Do not try this at home.

Comments

Popular Posts