SURVIVING YOUR TWENTIES




I remember being a child and looking forward to my twenties. Not necessarily adulthood generally, just twenties. I thought by now, my whole life would be about work and sleep, party and occasional travelling. Look at me now. I'm unable to stay up late and party. I don't even have anybody to party with. You people are always forming busy. Insomnia I used to brag about has disappeared. My waistline is expanding by the day and I've not even given birth. What is this life?
Now that we are grown, we are finding out in the harshest ways possible that life is not a bed of roses. There are so many things designed to weigh you down. I am of the opinion that Nigeria is on top of that list.
But you can survive. You will. And you can even thrive. I'll give you a few tips that I've discovered that help me get through each day. Please, I am barely three years into my twenties and I don't know anything. So this is not a hack or anything like that.I'm just doing this because life can be extremely difficult in your twenties, especially if you have to fend for yourself and discover yourself at the same time, which is the case for a lot of us.
1. Give yourself time
This is really not when you get everything. Don't be in a hurry. Time is not your friend, but time is not really your enemy either. You are young. Allow yourself to take as long as you need. Don't worry. Everything good will come Mo wa pelu e. Ma fo.
2. Always be ready to forgive yourself ASAP
Mistakes will happen. You will do your best but there will be occasional mistakes. And when they do happen, learn to let go and forgive yourself quickly. No one here has lived before. We're all just learning as we go. Mistakes are bound to happen. So don't be so hard on yourself. Pele dear.
3. Do not let anyone pressure you
Pressure will come from everywhere, even yourself. You are not on anyone else's clock. It's always up to you. Whatever that thing is, do it when you feel you are ready. Move to your own place when you are ready, buy that car when you are ready, marry that human being when you are ready. Don't let anybody tension you into doing anything.
4. Learn as many good habits as possible
You know that "I have issues, that's just how I am" behaviour? Lose it. It's only you people that I've seen that are extremely proud of your toxicity. God forbid. Seriously, it's old and tired. Using your shortcomings to shine is not a thing anymore. Who even made it a thing in the first place? Tueh. You deserve better than the baseless excuses you are giving yourself. Fix up. Pick up good habits. Commit to becoming a better person.
5. Make good friends
I cannot tell you enough how important it is to have people that listen to you and people that you can trust. Everything is already difficult enough. Why do any of it alone? Build useful relationships. People can be difficult but I promise you, we're not altogether useless. We need each other. Avoid unnecessary friendships though. You see all these people? Some don't really have sense and it shows. Please avoid them.
Extra tip: Your hormones are your enemy. *wink wink* I can't shout. Control yourself abeg.

There are some of you that will not still hear word. You are fresh out of uni and you don't want a process. You don't want to build anything, grow anything, but you want to blow sharp sharp. I don't know, maybe you heard that manna is still falling from heaven. If you do not hustle, or you do not come from old money, I don't know what you came here to do. This advice is not even for you. Just carry your wahala and go. Carry on. Eku radarada.
If you are in your twenties and reading this, I want you to know that it will be fine. Continue keeping your head up. Keep doing the right thing. It'll all work out. Your dreams will come true. Everything good will come. Remember to have fun while at it. Today is the youngest you'll ever be. Shalom!

Comments

  1. Love of your life20 February 2020 at 21:53

    Ancient mammy water spirit, well done

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely done, one good way of forgiving yourself is by learning good habits.... And they're called habits because you'll exude positivity for yourself and others even without knowing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! learning good habits is one way of telling yourself that you deserve to move forward.

      Delete
  3. Something I didn't know I needed. Thank you for your words; they are extremely comforting.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts