My NYSC Camp Experience

Hey! How's it going? I know I've been gone for a while but I assure you, it was a productive period of absence and I can't wait to let you in on everything. For the past three weeks, I've been in an Orientation camp for NYSC and as you might know, this is the bootleg version of being in the Big Brother Naija House with a dash of what I imagine American prison would be like. You meet people, you have fun, you obey rules and if you're unlucky, you fall in what feels like love.
This last part, the diluted love, that's what intrigues me the most about NYSC camp,the rush of it, the sometimes inevitability of it. I think almost all relationships stem from a lack of options. Or too many options. I've come to the conclusion that it's the unfamiliarity of a new place, the severe alone-ness that comes with trying to blend in that makes a person latch on to someone that they just met and have a bit of chemistry with. In the outside world, you'd probably just meet them, have great conversation and keep it moving but in camp, uncertainty and loneliness make you hold on to them. Or there's the very obvious, very likely conclusion. You're just a horny rabbit.
You see,the thing is, when you get in there, you'll find what you're looking for. If you want friends, you'll find friends. If you want lovers,those are even easier to find than friends. But the thing that most of us do not realize is that we all come in there vulnerable on some level. You get to really know yourself when you're away from your family, the friends you know and your regular routine. You change and you don't even know it. You get into a place with new people and you tell yourself the exact kind of person you want to be. That is the version of yourself that you would love to be if you had a do-over. So to a large extent, that is the real you.
 Enough wisecracks. Now to my personal experience.
I'd like to hurriedly point out that it did not rain fine boys. We had the occasional stand out people that took everyone's breath away but still, we move! You know how I said you'll find whatever it is you;re looking for, it almost wasn't true for me. It was halfway true because I wasn't looking for anything so I found too much and too little at the same time. But that's okay, I guess.
 I have a thing for attractive people. I think they're art, expensive art that shouldn't be possessed by one person. I know it sounds superficial but I find physical beauty to be a deep thing. There has to be something special about you that made you come out so flawlessly. This brings me to Mr D.
One thing popped in my head when I first saw him.
 "He can't dance."
But he did fascinate me and I did not  get to know him. One thing I've learnt over the past month is people are not overrated. Not in the slightest. Everyone is a walking blend of interesting emotions and experiences. Get them to fall apart and you'll see. I do this thing where I attach colours to people. Mr D was blue. Cool, not too loud, but impossible to ignore. Mr A was yellow. Beautiful, in-your-face, sharp. You just can't ignore some people. Before camp, I didn't think there were any cool people left to meet. I cannot emphasize enough on the importance of stepping out of your routine and coming out of your shell, even if you are an introvert. Mix. Blend. Talk. Don't die in your safety. Push yourself. It's a lot like shooting your shot at a girl or a guy. By the way, I'm pro shooting your shot at guys now. Get it Queen! I digress. I just want everyone to know how important it is to experience life. I know it is absolutely crazy in the real world but seize your moments, live in them, just live. Because if you don't, you'll die. You'll die a thousand times before you really die. You'll die when you miss an opportunity to make a connection, you'll die when you see something that lights you up and ignore it. You'll die when you forget to live. You'll die, die, die.

        "...Live boldly. Push yourself. Don't settle. Just live well. Just live"- Will Traynor, Me Before You.
PS, I saw this entire piece going in a completely different direction. But oh well, I hope you get something useful from it.


Comments

  1. "Attractive People are Art". Thank God I'm one of them.

    Where's Mr D. though?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank God!
      He's probably somewhere not very far from me, stretching his perfect legs and stroking his perfect beard.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts