On Dreaming and Evolving

When I was a child, I wanted to be a lawyer. Then for about five minutes, I was talked into wanting to be a doctor. But those five minutes happened at the time where I had to make decisions with lasting effects, permanent effects really. And so it began. A long, tedious journey that almost led nowhere. I'm not a doctor. I have a degree I will probably never use but it's okay because I learnt and that's what's important. As far as mistakes go, we all have a collection of them. Career mistakes, personal mistakes, all kinds. But maybe they weren't mistakes. They could have been the best decision you could have made based on where you were at the time. It could have worked out. Then something shifted and all of a sudden, your old plans had no place in the new scheme of things. That's okay too.
I've always been a little tilted towards the arts. "A little" is putting it lightly actually. But I've always been obsessed with the bigger picture and making what my mind would have called "smart moves". At that young an age, big mistake. You know, finding your passion really young is a good thing because when you do, nothing else matters, not the lucrativeness of it, not everyone's idea of it, nothing at all. Isn't that how it should be though? But we bring in secondary thoughts to these things as soon as we have been integrated into the way of the world. 'How much money will I earn? Will this bring the respect I want from my peers?" This is probably one of the reasons we all struggle to keep our inner child. Kids just do what they want and nobody really wants to lose that freedom.
I think sometimes we forget that there are so many things to be in this world and not all of them fit  into one word. It's entirely possible to be something that no one has ever been before. But if you are currently running on a path someone else has set for you or you have set for yourself but don't feel comfortable with anymore, you're not the only one. And while I'd want you to find peace and fulfillment, I wouldn't advise you to stop and make a complete U-turn if you cannot handle it because very many times, I was asked to and I never had the balls.
Before I let you in on what I think might be an option for you, know that dreams evolve. Sometimes they change completely. They're flexible, malleable because they're yours and no one else's. You can make it anything. You can expand it.
That being said, Where are you now? Where would you like to be? Maybe the difference between those two isn't always an answer as simple as "Time". Maybe you do not have to go back and start again. You can, if you can handle it, but can't we marry the two? Can't we expand our ideas to make room for where we are right now? The flexibility and sole ownership of dreams make it a bit easy to make whatever you want of them.
And then there's the other option. You could always just start again.

Comments

  1. Mhen! This matter is one tough one.

    After 6 years of allowing breeze to carry me where it will, I started again recently. And in starting again, I've learnt that I didn't start as empty as before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Even in your years of "breeze carrying", you will gain useful experience.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts